Health of Seminarians Research Findings Spring 2022
One of our commitments as an organization is to conduct research specifically focused on the current state of seminarian health and wholeness. In the summer and fall of 2020, Travis Webster (HSHC co-founder) conducted his dissertation research study* among seminarians who attend Christian seminaries and divinity schools in the United States. The purpose of his study was to explore whether the factors that contribute to pastoral unhealth are already present in pastoral formation.
- Survey participants scored high on interpersonal relationships.
- They felt fairly connected to others.
- 2 of the 5 most important health practices that they want to be attentive to in their vocational service are relationship oriented.
- Research is continuing to show how relational health significantly impacts one’s overall health*, which is why we, as an organization, have increasingly focused on providing tools and resources for seminarians and others to use to tend to this area of wellbeing.
- Relational health is something that clergy struggle with, so we are pleased that these seminarians are being attentive to this aspect of being well!